Jan 06

Debaytable Reader Survey

Introduction—

An interested reader has informed me that an Internet and blog expert told him that 1) Pieces over 300 to 350 words were too long; 2) That today’s readers would glance at a posting and if it were too long in their opinion, they would skip it and move on.

Your job is to let me know what you think about: A) The length of the pieces I post; B) Whether you are interested in the content of the pieces posted; C) Which pieces you liked, which pieces you didn’t like and why.

The Survey—

LENGTH:      Too long (give an example)

Just about right (neither too long nor too short)

Too short (give an example)

CONTENT:       Interesting/Not Interesting

Informative/Not Informative

LIKED/DIDN’T LIKE: Identify the piece(s) and why you liked/didn’t like them.

Honest opinions are expected and will be helpful. Take as much space as you feel you need.  Please respond to this survey as promptly as you can. Points will not be given for taking care of my feelings. After all, I’m a lawyer who’s used to contrary views. Views differ. Different strokes for different folks.

Note: Those readers who prefer to NOT enter a public comment, can respond directly to me at don.bay@comhem.se without having to post a comment.

THANKS!

1. Keep doing what you’re doing!

This exercises benefits you as much as your friends and readers.
    Experts are generally self described and distorted self-image is at epidemic proportions in this county.

Carry on, Sir.

2. the long and short of it is… I like what you have to say. Keep up the good work in however many words you have to say. If I reprint it, it can always be edited to be less… not more.

• Marilyn Feaster on January 6, 2014 at 22:53

Hi Don,
    Your research and observations are “professorial” and are really well researched! I feel like I am in College again and enjoy the challenge of thinking about what you discuss. If readers don’t want to take the time to read your entire blog, they can always wait until they have sufficient time to read it. I truly appreciate all the effort and thought you commit to your various topics and look forward to the comments others post. Perhaps the length of many of them is daunting many readers, though…
    A suggestion for you to consider, is….. to offer a synopsis of your thoughts—
    and then follow that with your expanded blog. If readers are really interested in your topic, they can read your entire blog, and also click on your “footnotes” for further reading…

• susan Harris on January 6, 2014 at 23:24

I like what Marilyn wrote…see above. She has a good idea.
    Why don’t you ask your readers what they would like you to write about? Just a thought.

• Mary Ann Conley on January 7, 2014 at 05:19

Hi Don. I have greatly appreciated your thoughts and treatise on the subjects you have addressed and which I have read. I don’t read all your blogs…but don’t have a lot of time with the computer and some of them pass me by with the thought that I will access them when I do have time. I believe that to be each person’s prerogative. Don’t concern yourself too much with length as people will scan, read thoughtfully, skip over all together, or choose to come back another time. Just keep doing what you’re doing…a great job of challenging all of us to think!

• Linda on January 7, 2014 at 07:07

Here’s the thing: If you cater to your readers too much, will it still be your blog? I think what is important is that you stay true to yourself….you have to satisfy your intent for writing whatever it is you are writing about. If you need to take more than 300 words, so what? It’s not as if your pieces are like endless chapters of a book you wish would just end! What pieces did I like? I liked the very personal piece about assisted suicide. It led me to re-examine a moment in my life and re-affirmed my belief in assisted suicide as opposed to suicide. I also truly enjoyed the piece about free will and peaks and valleys. I am not into pets so much so for me, those were less interesting although I was amused at Dave’s faux pet dog photo as for one holiday card, I once contemplated gathering up all the kids in the neighborhood for a photo, planting them on our front lawn with a greeting from “Randy, Linda and all their kids.” But, does that mean you should scrap pet pieces like I scrapped my holiday card idea? Different strokes for different folks, as they say and by the way, I read an article about the unconscious mind…Scientific America….and how the environment influences decisions we might make in the future because of what we have seen/heard. We are “primed” to make certain choices. The article reminded me of your blog on free will and the lack of it. So long or short, writing about this or that….I’m sorry, but I think I will just throw this survey right back at you for you to decide because, well, this is your blog and as the writer, I think those choices are entirely up to you.

• kathyswizards on January 11, 2014 at 05:08

I agree with Linda– write what’s meaningful to you. Writing is an expression of who you are and what’s important to you. Stay true to yourself and your sincerity and passion will win your readers.

• Don Bay on January 12, 2014 at 09:56

As you will note from the piece that is published today—and will be seen henceforth—I am instituting a brief synopsis of the content of the blog piece that follows it. The reason is explained at the top of the piece that appears today. What will be found in the blog will reflect the same honesty, sincerity and passion that has been present from the start. All that will change is that a brief synopsis will precede each longer blog piece. Feel free to read the longer piece if the synopsis engages your interest.